DIY Lace Wedding Shoes
Gorgeous lace wedding shoes for the DIY bride. See how I embellished an inexpensive pair of shoes with vintage lace to create a pair of shoes that are worthy of any Bohemian Princess.
You may be asking yourself, "This is a decorating site, so what does this lady know about wedding shoes?" Ha ha! That's ok. Yes this is a decorating site, but I feel like decorating extends to so many things besides just our home decor. I hand crafted everything for my daughter's wedding and I want to share it with everyone! So yes, you can "decorate" your shoes and I'm here to tell you how ;)
My daughter is the Queen of Bohemian, so I wasn't too surprised that she wanted over the top shoes for her Vintage Victorian Style Wedding. Since she normally goes barefoot though, I knew these shoes would not be worn for very long. I think it was 5 minutes and then she was putting on her barefoot sandals. Ha ha! Oh well, they are gorgeous shoes and will be a keepsake for her for years to come.
It really wasn't that hard to make these shoes, but it took a little time (here is a before picture of the nude shoes). I had all the lace and ribbon as I keep a stock of it in my craft room. If you don't have lace, then you'll have to go shopping for different pieces of lace and ribbon. I'm always on the look out at flea markets, garage sales, and thrift stores for vintage pieces, but you can also get new lace that merely looks old at any craft or fabric store. The sky is the limit as to what you can do. I will give you the basics and you can get creative and do your own thing.
- The first thing you need to do is find the basic shoe that you want. These shoes are a nude color that looked awesome as a base under all the lace.
- Stuff plastic bags in the shoes to protect the insides. I taped the bags around the edges with painter's tape.
- Using a lace material that is very filmy and light, I sprayed adhesive on the shoes (one at a time) and added the lace. I would suggest doing this outside.
- Once you have the lace all smooth on the shoes (don't forget the heels as well), then you need to trim around the edges.
- Now comes the fun part! I layered on different textures of lace until the shoes looked complete (I used hot glue for this part).
- Then I added a handmade little flower (I made it from a piece of vintage wedding dress lining) and a button.
You can also wear these anytime. I think they would be adorable with a cute little dress or even jeans. So have fun and make your own lace wedding shoes!
Here is my beautiful daughter on her special day!
Here are the links to my daughter's other handmade items for her special day...
Return from DIY Lace Wedding Shoes To Decorating Ideas Galore Home Page
Return from Lace Wedding Shoes to DIY Wedding Ideas
Get more of Dena's decorating tips!